How to Request a Transcript or Copy of a Prior Year’s Tax Return

  How to Request a Transcript or Copy of a Prior Year’s Tax Return

Always keep a copy of your tax return for your records. Copies of your filed tax returns may be needed for many reasons. A few reasons include:

  • To prepare future tax returns
  • To amend prior year’s tax returns
  • To apply for loans including student loan, line of credit, revolving credit
  • To refer/respond to a notice you received from the IRS

If you can’t find you have mislaid your returns or cannot find a copy, you can access a copy of your federal tax return on the IRS website once again. Transcripts are free and they are available for the current year and the past 3 years. Please remember that it is infact a summary of the tax return that was filed and it will not have a lot of the details that you are accustomed to. It does reflect any changes that you or the IRS may have made to the original filed return.

Once you have accessed the IRS website: – click on the filing tab and within the body of the page and under “After you file” you will see an option to Get a transcript of your return. You will then see the option of get transcript online to get a copy immediately. You will need the following to be able to access or request an online copy of your transcript:

  • A readily available email address;
  • Your Social Security number;
  • Your filing status and address from your last-filed tax return;
  • Access to certain account numbers for either:
    • credit card, or
    • home mortgage loan, or
    • home equity (second mortgage), or
    • Home equity line of credit (HELOC), or
    • car loan
  • A readily available mobile phone. Only U.S.-based mobile phones may be used. Your name must be associated with the mobile phone account. Landlines, Skype, Google Voice or similar virtual phones as well as phones associated with pay-as-you-go plans cannot be used.
  • If you have a “credit freeze” on your credit records through Equifax, it must be temporarily lifted before you can successfully complete this process.

If you are unable to access online copy of your transcript, you may use Get Transcript by Mail or by calling 800-908-9946. Transcripts arrive at the address the IRS have on file for you in five to 10 calendar days from the time IRS receives your request.